Delicious Shamrock Shake with Hemp Protein
I remember enjoying a small sip of my Dad's Grass Hopper drink many years ago. His adult drink tasted exactly like the Shamrock Shakes you could get at McDonalds during that time. McDonalds is bringing back their Shamrock Shakes for 2017. So I decided to create a super healthy version for my family to enjoy. This is what I came up with and so everyone loves it.
- 1/2 cup Nancy’s Organic Lowfat Cottage Cheese
- 1/4 cup Hemp Seed Protein Powder
- 1/8 tsp Mint extract (or to taste)
- 2-3 packets of stevia or sweetener of choice (or to taste)
- 5-10 Ice cubes (more or less depending on how thick you like it)
- 4 oz Water (again, alter according to desired thickness of shake)
- 2-3 drops Green food coloring, or a handful of spinach to make it green!
- 1-2 tbs Sugar Free Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix
- Pinch Guar or xanthan gum
Blend all ingredients together until desired thickness.
Cottage cheese is what gives shake the thick milkshake consistency! You will not taste the cottage cheese I PROMISE, but you could also use vanilla Greek yogurt OR 1 additional scoop of hemp seed protein powder instead!
Shamrock Shake Nutrition Information
1 Serving size (1 shake)
180 Calories per shake
Hemp seed's amino acid profile is close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy. Hemp seed protein powder contains all 21 known amino acids, including the 9 essential ones adult bodies cannot produce. Proteins are considered complete when they contain all the essential amino acids in sufficient quantities and ratios to meet the body's needs.
Disclaimer - McDonalds Shamrock Shakes contain: A small, 12-ounce Shamrock Shake contains 530 calories, 15 grams of fat (including 1 gram of dangerous trans fat), plus a whopping 73 grams of sugar. Again, that's the small. A large has 820 calories.